In my earlier posts, I talk about the need to reprogram our minds to think more of the warm, uplifting thoughts (that we want more of in our lives) and to let go of the conditioned lies that bring us down. Meditation, prayer, and affirmations are different ways of doing this. In this post, I would like to introduce you to an additional way of reprogramming your mind which I have included in my daily spiritual practice and have found very beneficial. I am talking about the power of suggestion.
Suggestions are the primary component of hypnotism. In hypnotism, a person goes into a trans to receive suggestions that will enhance their perception of reality.
James Braid is known as the father of hypnotism. He believed that hypnotism was similar in many respects to certain Hindu prayers but was based more on phycological concepts.
Suggestions are a wonderful way to program your mind to experience a more warm, loving reality. It is recommended that you create a script containing all the things that you want to see more of in your life. Record it on your phone and play it back on a daily basis. The script should include current tense aspirations, such as:
Everyday, in every way,
I am getting better and better.
Emile Coue (1857-1926)
The difference between the script that I created below and self-hypnotism is that my script brings you into a very relaxed state of tranquility rather than putting you into a trance. From my experience, the results are the same (a more uplifted state of reality).
Practicing the power of suggestion
Perform the steps below to practice the power of suggestion in your life. It only takes a few minutes and provides benefits that will last throughout the day. I usually practice my suggestions around the same time that I pray and meditate. As with anything, performing the practice on a daily basis will help you to manifest the reality that you wish to create.
Sit down in a quiet, comfortable location.
Do not perform this exercise while operating machinery, driving a car, or performing any other dangerous activity.
You can play the script that you created or click on the following audio to listen to the spiritual suggestions script that I have created:
Below is the script to the above audio that I created. Feel free to modify it to create a script that is custom tailored to your own needs:
- At this moment, a very calm, relaxing feeling is coming over me.
- With every breath, I am becoming calmer and more relaxed.
- My legs are feeling relaxed.
- My arms are feeling relaxed.
- My entire body is totally calm and relaxed.
- I am now feeling very calm and I just want to relax in this state of tranquility for a while.
- When I count to three, I will enter a deep state of tranquility.
- One, two, three.
- I am now in a deep state of tranquility and can receive suggestions that will enhance the quality of my life.
- I have perfect control of myself, and can resume my daily activities at any time I like.
- I am now living in the realization that I am one with God; loving God, powerful God, glorious God.
- I now realize that I am already a fully enlightened being of light and love.
- I am now basking in the loving presence of God.
- I realize now that I am living in heaven on earth and I am living in a constant state of love, wholeness, and bliss.
- I now realize that every obstacle is an opportunity to learn another lesson on love.
- I now let go of the daily aggravations, fear, and disappointments because I realize that only love is real and everything else is a dream.
- I now realize that every moment alone is sweet solitude, because I know that I am always in the presence of God (who is my Beloved and best friend).
- I feel healthy, whole, and full of energy.
- Upon the completion of this session, I will be able to come back to feeling the loving presence of God, at will, by simply thinking of the word “Now.”
- When I complete the count of three, I will resume my daily activities and I will feel great.
- I will be full of energy, enthusiasm, and vitality.
- I will be wide awake and feel wonderful.
- One, two, three.
- I now open my eyes and feel great!
There have been many books written on hypnotism and self-hypnotism; however, few give you practical advice on how to apply it in your life. If you want to learn more about self-hypnotism, I recommend that you read the book, “Hypnotism Revealed” by Melvin Powers.